BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. I couldn't join for the last few months due to lack of time, but I didn't want to miss out this time and somehow made it :) This month's host Anshie of Spice Roots selected griddle breads as the theme. We could make any breads that are cooked on a griddle or tawa. If you love bread baking and want to be part of this wonderful group, go through the details at the end of the post.
Most of our Indian breads are made in griddle but I wanted to try something different and settled on this gözleme. A gözleme is a savory Turkish flatbreads made from flour, yeast, oil and sometimes yogurt too. The fillings vary by region, but mostly include vegetables, greens, meat and cheese. For the perfect gözleme, they key is to roll the dough as thin as possible.
A traditional gözleme filling does not have spices, but I was worried if it will bland, so I added cumin, pepper and bit of chilli flakes. If you haven't tried gözleme, you definitely must give this a try. It was really delicious and I will be making them often. Next time, I will substitute half the flour with wheat flour, and try different filings too. Off to the recipe.
Notes and Tips
- If using active dry yeast, add yeast to warm water and let sit for 10 minutes or until yeast is foamy.
- 200 ml water was enough for me to make the dough. You can add more little more water if required.
- Spices in the filling are optional. You can adjust according to your preferences,
- It is important to roll the dough as thin as possible, otherwise the dough will not get cooked.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.
- Amaranth (Rajgira) Paratha from Herbivore Cucina
- Cheese and Potato Gözleme from Cook's Hideout
- Corn Pancakes from Magnolia Days
- Cornmeal Griddle Cakes from Noshing With The Nolands
- English Muffins from La cocina de Aisha
- Fruity Hemp Seed Pancakes from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Griddle Scones from Hostess At Heart
- Homemade Corn Tortillas from Kylee Cooks
- Lachha Paratha - Indian Layered Flatbread from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Masala Poli - Spicy Potato Masala Stuffed Poli from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Masala Roti from Sneha's Recipe
- Paneer Kulchas - Griddle Fried Cottage Cheese Flatbread from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Paruppu Poorana Poli from Gayathri's Cook Spot
- Peanut Butter and Apple Griddle Cakes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Phool Makhana Parathas (Puffed Lotus Seeds Parathas) from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Saffron Unleavened Bread from Kidsandchic
- Satpadi - Spiced Griddle Bread from Spiceroots
- Scallion Pancakes from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Sourdough English Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Spicy Loli - Breakfast Flatbread from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach and Feta Gözleme from Spill the Spices
- Stacked Apple Arepas from The Schizo Chef
- Staffordshire Oatcakes with a Bacon & Cheese Filling from Ruchik Randhap
- Stove-Top Muffins (Diphaphata) from Wholistic Woman
- Swedish Polar Bread from G'Gina's Kitchenette
- Vitumbua (Coconut Rice Pancake Balls) from Mayuri's Jikoni
- Welsh Cakes from Passion Kneaded
- Yeast Raised Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancakes from Pastry Chef Online