I recently joined a bread baking group called Bread Bakers where each month we bake a bread based on a theme or ingredient. This month's host Rocio of Kids and Chic selected oatmeal as the theme and we had to bake a sweet or savory bread with steel-cut, rolled or quick oats. If you love bread baking and want to be part of this wonderful group, go through the details at the end of the post. I baked this whole wheat bread with honey and oats, and being my first attempt in baking a sandwich bread from scratch I'm quite happy at the results.
Nothing beats the taste and aroma of home made bread. The whole house smelled so good and the taste was so much better than store-brought breads. This bread recipe is quite easy and simple for beginners to try out. This recipe uses a mixture of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour which makes the bread not too dense or heavy. The honey and milk gives a soft crumb and adds a subtle sweetness. This bread is great to make sandwiches or toast it and slather with your favorite jam or butter. Now let's see how to make this whole wheat honey oatmeal bread.
Notes and Tips
- If using active dry yeast, add yeast to milk-water mixture with honey and let sit for 10 minutes or until yeast is foamy.
- Rising times may be longer if you are active dry yeast.
- If you are using a stand mixture, use the dough hook and knead on medium speed for 5-6 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- If you are using a loaf pan that is not dark or non stick, bake at 200 °C | 400 °F.
- Cover with a aluminum foil if the bread is turning too brown.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.
Oatmeal Bread themed #BreadBakers:
- Agave Oatmeal Sour Dough Bread from My Catholic Kitchen
- Applesauce Oatmeal Bread from Hostess at Heart
- Banana Oatmeal Loaf from Basic N Delicious
- Blueberry Currant Oatmeal Bread from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Honey Oatmeal Bread from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Honey Oatmeal Bread from Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Honey-Oatmeal Muffins from A Baker's House
- Honey Oats Bread Loaf from Gayathri's Cook Spot
- Honey Nut Oatmeal Waffles from Magnolia Days
- Honey Wheat Oat Bread from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Irish Oat and Whole Wheat Bread from Cali's Cuisine
- Lemon Blueberry Oat Bread from Kids & Chic
- Multigrain Twist Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Oat Breadsticks from Passion Kneaded
- Oatmeal and Whole Wheat Rolls from Sneha's Recipe
- Oatmeal Buttermilk Bread from Ruchik Randhap
- Oatmeal Porridge Sandwich Loaf from Bakers and Best
- Oatmeal Stout Loaf from Food Lust People Love
- Oat & Honey Bread from La Cocina de Aisha
- Oats and Millet Idli from Spice Roots
- Oats Bread with Maple and Walnut by Cook's Hideout
- Oats Garlic Kulcha from SimplyVeggies
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips Oatmeal Scones from G'Gina's Kitchenette
- Rolled Oat Sourdough Boule from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Savory Oats Scones from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Triple Seeded Oat Bread from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Whole Wheat Honey Oatmeal Bread from Spill the Spices