For this month's Home Baker's Challenge, Priya of Priya's Versatile Recipes has suggested some beautiful French Bake recipes. Out of them I chose to make this simple and easy bread Faluche.
Faluche is a traditional pale white bread from the Northern region of France. The ingredients of this bread are flour, yeast salt and oil, which are mostly found in our pantry and hence this bread is easy to prepare at home. The bread is soft, fairly dense and can be either be round or flat. It is often eaten hot at breakfast - liberally spread with jam or butter. The bread can also be used to make sandwiches.
FALUCHE DU NORD RECIPE
Recipe Source ~ En 2 Coups De Cuillere A Pot
2 ¼ cups All purpose flour
½ cup warm Water
½ tsp salt
1 tsp , dry yeast
2 tbsp olive oil
Extra flour for dusting & rolling
1 tsp oil (for brushing the top)
1. In a large bowl take flour, salt, yeast, oil and mix together.
2. Slowly add in the warm water and knead everything to a smooth and soft dough.
3. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and let it sit in a warm place for 1 hour 30 minutes.
4. Remove the dough from the bowl, sprinkle enough flour in a working surface. Roll the dough as a large disc with enough thickness.
5. With a round shaped cutter, make medium sized round shaped discs. Place it in a flour dusted baking sheet and let it sit for an another hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F.
7. Brush the top of the bread with the oil. Now sprinkle some flour on the top and bake for 10-15 minutes.
1. The bread should have a white crust, so do not bake for long time.
2. I had to add little more warm water to make the dough. So if you need extra water, add very little at a time and knead.