Home Bakers is a group started by Priya of Priya's Versatile Recipes, where each month we get to bake new recipes and learn different baking techniques. For this month Home Bakers Challenge, we are baking biscottis and Priya has given us options to bake both savory and sweet biscottis.
Biscotti are twice baked cookies originating from Italy. The biscuits are oblong-shaped and very crunchy. Since they are dry, they are often served with a drink to dunk in. This is my first attempt in making biscotti and am pretty happy that they came out crunchy and delicious. Caraway or the kala jeera, lends a beautiful flavor to this cheesy biscotti.
SAVORY CARAWAY CHEDDAR BISCOTTI RECIPE
Recipe Source ~ Food with Presence
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp cayenne / red chilly powder
½ tsp caraway seeds
1. Heat the oven to 180 C / 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Put the eggs and cheese in a bowl and using an electric whisk process until it is well combined and thick.
3. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne and caraway seeds. Pulse three or four times, just to integrate the dry ingredients using the whisk or using hand.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead 3-4 times it until it holds together and the dough is coated with flour.
5. Shape the dough into a 8 inch long and 4-6 inch wide rectangle/log. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and gently flatten.
6. Bake at 180 C / 350 F for 20-25 minutes or until the log is firm to the touch. Cool for about 10 minutes.
7. Then cut on them into half-inch slices. Arrange the biscotti flat on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
8. Flip and bake again for another 10-15 minutes or until biscotti are slightly golden. Cool completely before serving.