Aloo palak is a classic Punjabi dish with fried potatoes dunked in a creamy spinach gravy. It is healthy and easy to make at home. Its an excellent side dish for Indian flat-breads, pulao and ghee rice.
As you all know, spinach is a nutritional powerhouse and we must include it our diet regularly. You can also make a low fat version of aloo palak by skipping the cream and replacing butter with oil. It tastes best with chapathi, naan and jeea pulao.
ALOO PALAK RECIPE
Potato - 2 large
Spinach / Palak - 3 cups, tightly packed
Green chillies - 2
Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
Garlic - 1 tsp, grated
Tomato - 2 medium
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Milk - 1/4 cup
Fresh cream - 1 tsp
Kasuri methi / Dried fenugreek leaves - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Butter / Oil - 1 tbsp
For the tempering:
Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
Cardamom - 1
Cloves - 2
Cumin seeds / Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida / Hing - a pinch
1. Boil the potatoes. Peel the skin and cut into medium cubes. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add potatoes, salt and fry until golden brown. Set aside.
2. Boil water in a saucepan. Add 1/2 tsp sugar, washed spinach leaves and blanch for 2 minute. Remove, wash in cold water and drain.
3. Grind the spinach with green chillies to a smooth paste. Set aside.
4. Puree the tomatoes and set aside.
1. Heat butter in a pan and add the ingredients for tempering. When nice aroma comes, add onion and fry until edges turn brown.
2. Add ginger, garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes. Then add the tomato puree and cook for 8-10 minutes.
3. Then add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder, garam masala and saute for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle little water if masala is sticking to the pan.
4. Now add the spinach puree, salt and 1/2 cup water. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then add the fried potatoes.
5. Let the potatoes simmer in the gravy for 4-5 minutes. Then add milk, cream, sugar and kasuri methi. Cook for 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
1. You can omit cream for a low fat version and add more milk.
2. You can substitute green chillies with dried red chillies.