Potatoes are one of the most versatile vegetables and pairs well with other vegetables. There can hardly be anyone who does not love potatoes. I cannot do without potatoes and it is a must in my kitchen. Potatoes are lifesavers on busy days to make a quick and delicious side dish or curry for rice and chapathi.
This potato roast is a easy and quick one that I learnt to make during my early days of cooking. Boiled potato cubes are roasted with sambar powder and other spices. The sambar powder imparts a special flavor and aroma to the potatoes. The versatility of the dish is that it pairs well with rice and sambar, rasam, vatha kuzhambu or any South Indian gravy as well as variety rice dishes like tomato rice, lemon rice, raw mango rice, curd rice etc. Let's see how to make this simple and delicious roast.
POTATO ROAST RECIPE
Potatoes - 3 medium sized
Sambar powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida / Hing - 1/4 tsp
Jeera / Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Split urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Dried red chillies - 2, halved
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
1. Pressure cook the potatoes till soft. Peel and cut them into medium sized cubes.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dal, red chillies, hing and curry leaves. Fry till dal turns golden.
3. Add the potatoes, salt, turmeric powder, jeera powder, red chilly powder and sambar powder. Combine gently taking care not to break the potatoes.
4. Roast the potatoes in low to medium flame stirring in between till they turn golden, for about 5-8 minutes.
1. Do not over cook the potatoes. Also stir them gently to avoid breaking.
2. Add more red chilly powder for a spicier roast.