Kulfi is a popular frozen Indian dessert made with diary products and sugar and comes in different flavors like malai, saffron, cardamom, rose, nuts like pistachios and almonds and fruits like mango, strawberry, apple etc. Today's kulfi recipe is rich with saffron flavor and nutty pistachios. South Vs North Challenge started by Divya of You Too Can Cook, is a monthly event where a member from South team challenges the North team with a South Indian recipe and vice-versa. This kesar pista kulfi recipe is part of the SNC Challenge to the Southern team by Shruti of Shruti Rasoi. I never knew it was so easy to make kulfis at home. The kulfis turned out creamy, nutty and delicious.
KESAR PISTA KULFI RECIPE
Full fat milk - 1 litre
Condensed milk - 200 ml
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cornflour - 1.5 tbsp
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Pistachios - 1/3 cup, chopped
Saffron / Kesar - 1/4 tsp
Rose water - 1/4 tsp
1. Boil the milk. Take 1/2 cup of the boiled milk and dissolve cornflour in it without any lumps. Set aside.
2. In the remaining milk add condensed milk, sugar and bring to a boil. Keep boiling in low flame until milk reduces to 3/4th quantity, scraping the sides in between.
3. Now pour the cornflour mixture and keep stirring to avoid any lumps. Then add cardamom powder, saffron and chopped pistachios.
4. Cook for another 2 minutes and then remove from heat. Allow to cool completely. Once cool add rose water and mix well.
5. Pour this mixture into kulfi or popsicle molds. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Remove from freezer and insert the lolly sticks and freeze again until firm.
6. When kulfi is completely set, keep the mold under running tap water for few seconds. Slowly pull out the kulfi and serve immediately.