Thoran is an essential part of South Indian meal. Be it sambar, rasam or other kootan, a vegetable stir fry aka thoran is must. You can use a mix of few veggies or just one to make thoran. Give a tadka of mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves, stir fry the vegetable and add in some freshly grated coconut at the end - thoran done, simple!
I have posted few thoran recipes in my blog. Today's thoran recipe is with a colorful veggie - beetroot. Beetroot is rich in vitamins, contains potassium, magnesium and iron and helps in reducing blood pressure. Its has many other health benefits, so its good to include beets in your meal. You can either grate the beetroot or chop them up into small cubes. But I always felt that grated ones taste better. Enjoy this simple thoran with rice and sambar.
Beetroot - 2 big, grated
Small onion - 3 to 4
Garlic - 4 to 5
Green chillies - 2 to 3
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing - 1/2 tsp
Whole dry red chillies - 2, halved
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
1. Roughly chop the small onions, garlic and green chillies. Crush them in a mortar and pestle. You can also coarsely grind them.
2. Heat oil and add mustard seeds. When it pops, add urad dal, hing, red chillies and curry leaves. Fry till dal turns golden.
3. Add the crushed onion-garlic-chilli and fry for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add beetroot, turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Cover and cook in medium flame till the beetroot is done.
5. Add coconut and saute for another 1-2 minutes.