Nei appams are small sweet fritters made of rice, jaggery, banana and cardamom, which are fried in ghee in a special pan called Æbleskiver or paniyaram pan or appa karal. Nei appam is one of the most important neivedhyam (offering) made during festivals like Krishna Jayanthi and Karthigai Deepam and on auspicious occasions in our home.
Karthigai deepam falls on 25th November this year. Nei appam and pori urundai are the offerings made during this festival. The nei appam batter generally does not need fermentation, but if you have time, set aside the batter for few hours and this will give you soft appams. Nei appams are so addictive, you just can't stop eating them. Try this delicious nei appams for this Karthigai and enjoy with family.
Also see other Karthigai Deepam recipes:
Notes and Tips
- Do not heat the jaggery syrup too much. Once the jaggery melts, immediately remove it.
- Do not add more water to melt jaggery.
- You can also use half oil and half ghee instead of adding full ghee.
- The batter should be thick and flowing, similar to dosa batter consistency.
- This batter does not require any fermentation. But if you have time, set the batter aside for few hours and it will give soft appams.