Diwali is fast approaching and many of you must have started planning the list of sweets and snacks to prepare for Diwali. This year I wanted to try my hands on some easy Diwali snacks. My first attempt is the karasev, a popular and quite easy snack made during Diwali.
Karasev is a spicy deep fried snack made with gram flour and rice flour, made with different flavorings like pepper, garlic etc. Traditionally karasev is made by rubbing the dough through a ladle with perforated holes. This method needs lot of practice, so using the murukku press is much easier and less messier too!!! Karasev can be made in bulk and stored in an airtight container for a month.
I tried the pepper flavored karasev and was so happy that it came out really well in my first attempt itself. The roasted gram flour gives the karasev a soft texture, making it not too hard. Even beginners can try this karasev. Enjoy this crispy additive snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
Notes and Tips
- The dough should be soft enough to squeeze through the holes. If the dough is hard and tight, sprinkle few drops of water and make the dough soft.
- Keep the dough covered with a wet cloth all the time, otherwise it will dry up and become hard.
- Add red chilly powder and pepper powder according to your spice preference.
- The oil should be hot when you squeeze in. Turn down the heat to medium while cooking the sev.
- If the dough becomes dry or hard for the last batch, sprinkle few drops of water and make the dough smooth.