There are limited fast-food shops that have vegetarian burgers on their menu. And most of these burgers might sound healthy, but the processed burger patties may have lots of cheese and contain traces of animal by products. To make a healthy veggie burger at home is quite easy. A veggie burger just doesn't have to be the regular one with potato and other vegetables. You can use different legumes, beans and grains plus your favorite vegetables to make a delicious and hearty burger.
Today I am sharing a healthy and protein loaded burger recipe with pan-fried chickpea patties with a yogurt and tahini sauce. These eggless chickpea patties have tons of flavor from the spices. I used rolled oats to bind the patties but you can use flax seeds or chia seeds. You can freeze the remaining patties individually and use for making burgers or have them like a snack with your favorite sauce. I made a simple yogurt and tahini sauce but you can also use a plain yogurt sauce or avocado sauce. Also check out my Mexican bean burger with avocado sour cream sauce.
Notes and Tips
- Process the chickpeas and other ingredients until just combined. Do not make a paste.
- Add more powdered oats if you feel the patty mixture is watery.
- Adjust spices according to your taste preference.
- Refrigerating the patties will make them firm and avoid crumbling.
- Drain water completely after cooking the chickpeas. If using canned chickpea, wash well and drain.
- Tahini is a Middle Eastern paste made from white sesame seeds.