We are heading towards North American cuisine this month for the International Food Challenge, an event started by Shobana and Saras and we are cooking from the California region. As a result of varied range of micro-climates, the lifestyle in California promotes health conscious diets and use of fresh organic produce. This month's host Joanne of What's On The List suggested some classic recipes from the California cuisine and I picked the famous California pizza.
California-style pizza is a fusion of New York and Italian thin crust with toppings from the California cuisine cooking style. California-style pizza focuses on using nontraditional pizza ingredients and fresh produce. California Pizza Kitchen is one of the major pizza franchises associated with California-style pizza and this veggie pizza recipe is one on their menu. This pizza is laden with fresh vegetables, mozzarella and goat cheese on a honey wheat pizza crust. Let's see how to make this California-style veggie pizza.
Notes and Tips
- Do not put salt directly into the yeast water because this would kill some of the yeast.
- Do not over mix the dough as it will produce tough and rubbery dough.
- You can use the dough after the first rise. But keeping it overnight makes the dough more chewy and flavorful.
- You can make the normal pizza dough recipe instead of honey wheat dough. Note that the honey wheat dough tends to rise more slowly.
- You can use normal eggplant also. If using large ones, halve them and slice. Also go for normal broccoli if baby broccoli is not available.