In Indian cooking, chickpeas is often used to make chole or chickpeas potato curry and pulao. But it does get boring to make these same curries every time. One of my favorite side dish to roti that I get never bored is kurma/korma. I often make mixed vegetable kurma or kurma with just one or two vegetables. Chickpeas is one of my favorite legumes, so I thought why not try a kurma with chickpeas. This kurma has turned out our family favorite now.
Chickpeas are a good source of protein and iron. Due to high fiber content and low GI, chickpeas are excellent for weight loss diets. Also regular intake of chickpeas can lower cholesterol. This kurma goes well with chapathi, poori, dosa and mildly spiced pulao. You can also serve this kurma with rice and pappad. always serve this kurma with chapathi and fresh kachumber salad.
CHICKPEAS / CHANNA KURMA RECIPE
¾ cup white chickpeas
1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
3-4 sprigs coriander leaves, finely chopped
For the masala:
1/3 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp roasted gram / pottu kadalai
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
1 tsp fennel seeds / sombu
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ inch cinnamon
1. Wash and soak chickpeas overnight. Drain the water and add fresh water enough to immerse the chickpeas and pressure cook until soft.
2. Grind the ingredients for the masala to a smooth paste adding little water.
3. In a pan heat oil and add onions. Fry till the onions become soft. Add ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and fry for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and fry till it turns soft and mushy.
4. Add the ground paste, salt and saute the masala for 3-4 minutes. Then add 1½ cup water and bring to boil. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the cooked chickpeas and gently combine. Reduce the heat to low. Close and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Stir in the coriander leaves and remove from heat.
1. You can temper with cinnamon, cloves and cardamon instead of grinding them with the masala.
2. For spiciness, only green chillies are added, so adjust the amount of green chillies according to your spice level.