Diwali is around the corner and all are busy with preparation of different sweets and savories for the festival. Diamond cuts are one of the easiest and quick snack for beginners to try out for Diwali. There are 2 versions of this snack - sweet and savory. Today am sharing the savory version of these diamond cuts.
Savory diamond cuts are also known as khara maida biscuits or spicy diamond biscuits. These diamond cuts are were addictive and perfect to munch on with evening tea or coffee. Ajwain not only adds a nice flavor and aroma but also helps in digestion too. But if you don't like ajwain, you can skip it or add cumin seeds instead. You can also make them ahead and store in airtight containers.
SPICY DIAMOND CUTS / KHARA MAIDA BISCUIT RECIPE
1 cup maida / all-purpose flour
1 tbsp melted butter / ghee
½ tsp red chilly powder
½ tsp carom seeds / ajwain / omam
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
1. In a bowl add maida, red chilly powder, ajwain, salt and mix well. Then add the butter and mix until well incorporated.
2. Now add water little at a time and knead to a smooth and soft dough. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
3. Divide the dough into small lemon sized balls. Take a ball and roll out into thin circle. Cut into diamond shapes using a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
4. Heat oil for deep frying. Gently lift the diamond pieces using a spatula and add to the hot oil.
5. Fry in a medium heat until golden brown. Drain the excess oil on a tissue paper. Store in an airtight container.
1. The consistency of the dough should be similar to chapathi dough. If the dough is sticky, add more flour and adjust. Also do not roll the dough into very thin circles.
2. Do not add more butter or ghee as the diamond cuts will become too soft and will not turn out crunchy.
3. If you don't want the diamond cuts to puff up while frying, poke some holes using a fork before frying.