Moong dal sundal is another variety of sundal that is preapred during Navaratri. Its a simple and delicious sundal made with yellow moong dal / paasi paruppu and coconut tempered with mustard, split urad dal, chillies and curry leaves. This sundal comes handy if you forgot to soak your legumes the previous day as it needs no overnight soaking. Squeeze in some fresh lemon at the end for a tangy flavor.
YELLOW MOONG DAL / PAASI PARUPPU SUNDAL RECIPE
½ cup yellow moong dal / paasi paruppu
3 tbsp grated coconut
Pinch of turmeric powder
Salt to taste
For the tempering:
2 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp split urad dal
2 dried red chillies, halved
1/8 tsp asafoetida / hing
1 sprig curry leaves
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1. Soak the moong dal for ½ hour. Drain the water and set aside. In a vessel add 3 cups of water, turmeric powder and bring to boil.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and add the soaked moong dal. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until dal becomes soft. Drain and set aside.
3. In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds. When it crackles, add urad dal, red chillies, hing, green chillies and curry leaves.
4. Add the cooked moong dal, coconut, salt and mix well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
1. Take care that the dal does not turn mushy.
2. Soaking helps in cooking the dal faster.