Potato is really the king of vegetables. They are so versatile and combines well with any vegetable. They always come handy when we need to make a quick side dish and it can be prepared in different ways to suit the rest of the meal. This potato curry is a quick and easy side dish for chapathi and rice-dal.
Jeera aloo is a popular Punjabi dish with potatoes spiced with cumin and other spices. Cumin has a unique flavor and adds an earthy, strong and warm flavor. Also cumin has many medicinal properties and aids in digestion too. This is a very dry dish, so pair it with a dal and rice or roti to make a complete meal. Being a dry dish, it is suitable to carry while travelling. I enjoyed this jeera aloo with Bengali Masoor Dal and chapathi.
PUNJABI JEERA ALOO RECIPE
4 medium size potato
2-3 green chillies, slit
1 ½ tsp cumin seeds / jeera
¼ tsp asafoetida / hing
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp red chilly powder
¼ tsp garam masala powder
½ tsp dry mango / amchur powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
2-3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1. Pressure cook the potatoes until soft. Peel the skin and cut into medium size cubes.
2. In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds. Once it starts sizzling, add asafoetida and green chillies. Fry for few seconds.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining spice powders. Fry for few seconds.
4. Add the potatoes, salt and gently mix making sure spices get coated well on the potatoes.
5. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then roast the potatoes in high heat for 4-5 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.