Sundals are such delicious and healthy food that we shouldn't actually restrict to making them only during festivals. They make a filling and nutritious snack for the evening tea and coffee. Green peas sundal is yet another simple sundal that can prepared for Navaratri made using dried green peas. In this sundal coconut and green chillies are not added as such, instead they are ground to a coarse paste to blend nicely with the peas. The tempering in coconut oil furthermore enhances the flavor.
GREEN PEAS / PACHAI PATTANI SUNDAL RECIPE
½ cup dry green peas
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp grated coconut
1-2 green chillies
For the tempering:
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ split urad dal
1 dried red chilli, halved
¼ tsp asafoetida / hing
Few curry leaves
1. Soak the dried green peas overnight. Pressure cook the peas for 1-2 whistles with water just enough to cover it. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile grind the coconut and green chillies to a coarse paste without adding any water.
3. In a pan heat oil and add the mustard seeds. Once it crackles add urad dal, red chilli, asafoetida, curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
4. Add the cooked peas, turmeric powder, salt and saute for 2 minutes.
5. Then add the ground coconut-green chilli paste and mix well. Saute for another 2-3 minutes.