Pacha payaru vella sundal is one of the sundal varieties prepared during the nine days of Navratri. Its a simple, delicious and nutritious sundal made with green gram / moong dal, jaggery and coconut. On Tuesdays and Fridays, sweet neivedhyam / prasadam is made as offering and this sundal is an easy one that you can make on those days.
PACHA PAYARU / GREEN GRAM SWEET SUNDAL RECIPE
Green gram dal / Pacha payaru - 1/2 cup
Jaggery - 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
1. Dry roast the green gram until nice aroma comes, for around 5-6 minutes. Make sure it does not burn.
2. Soak the green gram in water for 2 hours. Drain the water. Add water just to immerse it and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles or until soft.
3. Mix jaggery with 1-2 tbsp water and melt it. Strain it to remove impurities. Transfer this to a vessel, add cardamom powder and bring to boil.
4. Once it starts to become sticky, add the green gram, ghee and mix gently. Cook till all the water evaporates.
5. Add grated coconut and combine. Cook for another minute and remove from heat.
1. Make sure the dal does not turn too soft or mushy.
2. The sundal might look mushy, but once it cools down the dal will be separated.