We, Groovy Gourmets, are making burgers this month but not the usual ones with the potato patty. Other than potato patties, a veggie burger can also be made with chickpeas, beans and lentils. Mexican cuisine has always intrigued me and I love their flavors, so I chose to make a Mexican style mixed bean burger with an avocado and sour cream sauce.
The bean patty itself was delicious and flavorful. The cajun seasoning added a distinct flavor to the bean patties. I used canned beans which was a mix of chickpeas, kidney beans, lima beans and great northern beans. You can pick any beans of your choice - fresh or canned. These patties can be frozen and used later for a quick burger meal. I made a creamy and tangy sauce with avocado and sour cream which enhanced the taste of the burgers further.
MEXICAN BEAN BURGER RECIPE
For the bean patty:
(Makes 12 patties)
Mixed beans - 2 x 400 gms tins
Red onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
Sweet corn - 1/4 cup
Garlic - 4, finely chopped
Jalapeno - 1, de-seeded & finely chopped
Cajun spice mix - 2 . 5 tspCoriander leaves - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Feta cheese - 100 gms
Breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
Lime juice - 1/2 tbsp
Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tsp
For the sauce:
Avocado - 1/2 cup, mashed
Sour cream - 1/3 cup
Lime juice - 1 tbsp
Hot pepper sauce - few drops
Salt - to taste
1. Heat oil and add onions, garlic, jalapeno and sweet corn. Fry till it becomes soft. Add cajun spice mix and saute for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Drain the beans well and add to a big bowl. Mash the beans well. Add coriander, feta cheese, breadcrumbs, onion mixture, lime juice, pepper and salt.
3. Combine everything well. Line a tray with baking paper. Make 1/2 inch thick patties and place on the tray. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Heat a pan and drizzle little oil. Cook the patties on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden.
5. For the sauce, mix avocado, sour cream, hot pepper sauce and season with salt.
6. Take a burger bun and halve it. Place some salad leaves and top it with tomato slices. Place a bean patty and place a dollop or two of the sauce.
1. Refrigerating the patties will make them firm and avoid crumbling while cooking, so do not skip it.
2. Add little more breadcrumbs if the patties are too wet.