One pot meals are so convenient when you have less time to cook and still need to dish out a flavorful and tasty meal. This vegetable pulao is one such quick and easy one pot meal. This pulao recipe is one that I make often and perfected over time.
My version of vegetable pulao is a very mildly spiced pulao which goes well with raitas like onion tomato raita or cucumber mint raita and some pappad. I love to add more quantity of veggies to my pulao to make it healthy and filling. This is apt for potluck parties or when sudden guests arrive for lunch or dinner.
You can add more spices and garam masala if you want bit more spicy pulao. The whole spices tempered in ghee imparts a good flavor and aroma to the pulao, but you can cut down the amount of ghee a little and substitute with oil.
VEGETABLE PULAO RECIPE
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Potato - 1 medium
Carrot - 1 medium
Beans - 10 to 12
Cauliflower - 1/2 cup
Green peas - 1/3 cup
Onion - 1 large, sliced
Green chillies - 2, sliced
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Cumin / Jeera - 1 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
Cardamom - 1
Cloves - 2
Salt - to taste
1. Wash and soak rice in 2 cups water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
2. Cut potato, carrot and beans into 1/2 inch length pieces. Cut cauliflower into small florets.
3. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat ghee. Add bayleaf, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Saute till nice aroma comes and then add the cumin.
4. After the cumin sizzles, add the sliced onions. Fry till the onions become soft and translucent. Then add green chillies, ginger-garlic paste and fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Now add the vegetables and saute for 2-3 minutes. Then add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and garam masala. Saute for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the drained rice, 1 tsp ghee salt and fry for 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of water and mix well. Bring to boil.
7. Once its starts boiling, reduce the heat to medium. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes until rice is done.
8. Remove from heat. Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then gently fluff the rice with a fork to mix.
Serve hot with raita.
1. Soaking rice makes the rice softer. If you don't have time, soak rice for 10-15 minutes in warm water.
2. After adding water, taste the water to check and adjust salt.