Salsa is a Mexican dip, which is typically a tomato based sauce. But salsa doesn't have to be often tomato-based. Fruit-based salsas offer a refreshing twist to the traditional tomato based sauce. This tropical pineapple salsa is sweet, zesty and refreshing. This salsa goes well with grilled meat or can be served with tacos or corn and tortilla chips.
Grilling the pineapple caramelizes it and brings out more of its natural sweetness. You can use canned pineapple for this salsa, though fresh juicy pineapple gives the best results and taste. The heat from the jalapeno combined with sweetness of pineapple and tangy lime adds a bursting flavor to the salsa. Serve this as an appetizer or as a side dish with chips.
GRILLED PINEAPPLE SALSA RECIPE
Pineapple - half
Onion - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup finely chopped
Jalapeno chilly - 1, finely chopped
Lime juice - 1 tbsp
Salt - a pinch
Olive oil - 1/4 tsp
1. Cut the pineapple into 1/4 inch thick slices. Heat a grill pan and drizzle olive oil.
2. Place the pineapple slices and grill on each side on medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender with light char grilled marks.
3. Allow the slices to cool. Cut them into medium cubes.
4. In a bowl, add grilled pineapple cubes, onion, coriander leaves, red chilly and combine. Add lime juice, salt and toss well.
5. Serve immediately or cover and chill until ready to serve.
1. De-seed the jalapeno chillies if you don't want the salsa to be spicy.
2. You can use normal green or red chillies instead of jalapeno.