Capsicum, also know as bell pepper, is a versatile vegetable with a lovely flavor. Adding this vegetable to any dish enhances the flavor of the dish. Not only its flavorful, it has got many health benefits too. They are an important source of vitamins A and C, antioxidants and helps in increasing metabolism, lowering blood pressure and cholesterol.
Coming to today's recipe, this curry is healthy and flavorful. Capsicum is simmered in a gravy of onion-tomato and a peanut-spice powder. The peanut-spice powder adds a unique flavor to the gravy, making this curry taste different from the regular onion-tomato gravies. The curry is mildly spiced and goes well with pulao and chapathi.
CAPSICUM MASALA RECIPE
Capsicum - 2 medium
Onion - 1 large, finely chopped
Green chilly - 1
Garlic - 2
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Tomato - 2 medium
Jeera / Cumin - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Kasuri methi / Dried fenugreek - 1 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
To roast and grind:
Peanuts - 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds - 1 1/2 tsp
Sesame seeds / Ellu - 1 tsp
Fennel seeds / Saunf / Perumjeerakam - 1/4 tsp
Black pepper - 3 to 4
1. In a pan dry roast coriander seeds, sesame seeds, fennel seeds and black pepper until nice aroma comes. Keep aside to cool.
2. In the same pan, roast the peanuts. Allow to cool. Grind everything together to a fine powder.
3. Puree the tomatoes and set aside. Coarsely grind green chilly, ginger and garlic.
4. De-seed the capsicum and cut into dices.
1. Add 1 tsp oil to a pan on medium heat and add the diced capsicums. Fry the capsicum till they become soft. Set aside.
2. In the same pan add 1 tbsp oil and add jeera. When it sizzles, add the green chilly-ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute.
3. Now add the onions and fry till the onions become golden.
4. Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, ground peanut masala powder, kasuri methi and mix well. Fry this for around 3-4 minutes.
5. Then add the tomato puree, salt and saute this till the tomato mixture becomes thick.
6. Now add 1/2 cup water and bring to boil. Simmer and add garam masala and capsicum.
7. Let capsicum simmer in the gravy for 3-4 minutes, then remove from heat.
1. The capsicum should be slightly crunchy after frying.
2. Do not cook the capsicum for a long time in the gravy.