Sundal is a snack made from different lentils and legumes and is usually prepared during Navratri as a neivedhyam. But I love to have these sundals anytime, especially as a evening snack with tea/coffee. Sundal is a very healthy and filling snack.
Chana dal/kadalai paruppu sundal is one of my favorite among the different sundal varieties. Though I soak the chana dal for sometime before cooking it, you can make this sundal instantly without soaking too. The cooked chana dal should be soft and firm to touch and should not turn mushy. In case you have forgot to soak the lentils the previous day to make sundal, you can make this quick and easy chana dal/kadalai paruppu sundal for neivedhyam.
KADALAI PARUPPU / CHANA DAL SUNDAL RECIPE
Chana dal / Kadalai paruppu - 1 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
Green chillies - 2, chopped
Salt - to taste
Lemon juice - 1 tsp (optional)
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Whole dry red chilies - 2, halved
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Asafoetida / Hing - a pinch
1. Soak the chana dal for 30 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cup water and pressure cook the dal with turmeric powder for 1-2 whistles or until soft. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil and add mustard seeds. When it pops, add ural dal, red chillies, hing and fry till the dal turns golden.
3. Now add green chilly, curry leaves and fry for a minute. Then add cooked dal, salt and mix well. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the grated coconut and fry for a minute. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
1. Make sure the dal is not over cooked and mushy. It should be firm to touch and soft.
2. Squeeze in more lemon for a tangy sundal.