Panch phoron is a flavorful and aromatic spice blend of cumin, fennel, mustard, nigella and fenugreek seeds in equal quantities and is used to flavor vegetable stir-fry's, dals and pickles. Few days back I had posted the recipe of panch phoron and promised to share few recipes with this spice blend. Here's a simple and delicious one using this wonderful spice mix.
This is a simple stir fry with cauliflower cooked with the five spices. When these spices are tempered in hot oil, they give out a wonderful aroma and imparts a great flavor to the cauliflower. There are not much spices going into this, except for some heat from the green chillies and red chilly flakes. This goes well with chapathi and dal chawal. I even had some with kothamalli/coriander thokku and it paired well, so guess it'll go well with sambar and rasam too!
GOBI PANCH PHORON RECIPE
Cauliflower - 1 medium
Green chilly - 2
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Panch phoron - 2.5 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing - a pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chilly flakes- 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
1. Cut the cauliflower to medium size florets. Put them in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside. Coarsely grind green chilly and ginger.
2. In a pan, heat oil and add panch phoron. Once they splutter, add turmeric powder, hing and green chilly-ginger paste. Fry for a minute.
3. Now add cauliflower and mix well. Cover and cook till cauliflower becomes soft. Then add salt, red chilly flakes and saute for 2-3 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
1. Take care not to burn the fenugreek seeds while tempering.
2. Chilly flakes is optional. I added them for more spice and color.