Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is a traditional Italian pasta dish, literally meaning 'spaghetti with garlic and oil'. Spaghetti is served with a sauce made of garlic and dried red chilly flakes lightly sautéed in olive oil. Parsley and Parmesan cheese can be added as garnish, though traditionally cheese is not added.
This classic Italian dish is one of the simplest and quickest pasta recipes and calls for 3 simple ingredients for the sauce - olive oil, garlic, red chilly flakes - which are always available in our kitchen. Use good quality olive oil and fresh garlic to give good flavor to the pasta. Also do not over heat the garlic and chilli, which will make them bitter.
Spaghetti - 250 gms
Garlic - 6 to 8 cloves, thinly sliced
Red chilly flakes - 1 tsp
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Parsley flakes - to garnish
1. Cook the spaghetti al dente, in a pot of salted boiling water. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat oil and add garlic. Sauté the garlic in low heat till its turns golden brown. Then add red chilly flakes and sauté for 30 seconds.
3. Add the spaghetti in the garlic-chilli oil and toss well. Stir for 2-3 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley.
1. You can season the pasta with pepper powder.
2. Adding parsley at the end is optional.
3. Cooking time for spaghetti may vary, so cook as per the instructions in the packet.