Green peas pulao is an easy one pot meal that can be made in very less time as there is not much chopping involved and you can use fresh or frozen green peas. Addition of mint and coriander leaves along with cinnamon, cardamom and other spices gives a nice flavor and aroma. A simple onion-tomato raita is enough to accompany this flavorful pulao.
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Green peas - 1 cup
Onion - 1 large, sliced thinly
Green chillies - 2, sliced
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
Mint leaves - 15 to 20 leaves, roughly chopped
Coriander leaves - 3 to 4 sprigs, roughly chopped
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
Ghee/Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Bay leaf - 1
Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
Cloves - 3
Cardamom - 3
Jeera/Cumin - 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds/Perumjeerakam - 1/4 tsp
1. Wash the rice and soak rice for 20 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat ghee and add the ingredients under tempering/tadka. Fry for a minute or until nice aroma comes.
3. Add onions, green chillies and fry till onions turn golden around the edges.
4. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry till raw smell goes. Now add the green peas and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the mint-coriander leaves, turmeric powder, garam masala and rice. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add 2 cups water, salt and mix well. Bring to boil.
6. Cover and cook in medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes or till rice is cooked. Alternatively you can transfer the contents to a pressure cooker and cook for 2-3 whistles.
Serve hot with raita.