Spinach is a powerhouse of nutrition. Spinach aids in digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar, lowers blood pressure and curbs overeating. It is also an excellent source of antioxidants — including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, manganese, zinc and selenium.
Dal palak is a comforting and healthy dish. This dal goes well rice as well as chapathi. You can add more garlic and make a garlicky palak dal for a change.
Palak/Spinach - 1 bunch
Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Moong dal - 1/3 cup
Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
Tomato - 1 medium, finely chopped
Garlic - 4 to 5, finely chopped
Ginger - 1" piece, finely chopped
Green chillies - 1, finely chopped
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin/Jeera powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Jeera/Cumin - 2 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Coriander leaves - 2 to 3 sprigs
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
1. Wash toor dal and moong dal together. Pressure the dals with a pinch of turmeric till soft. Mash and keep aside.
2. Wash the spinach well and dry it. Roughly chop the spinach and keep aside.
3. Heat ghee and add jeera. Then add garlic, ginger, green chillies and saute for a minute. Then add onions and fry till it turns golden.
4. Now add the tomatoes and saute for a minute. Then add spinach, turmeric powder, cumin powder, red chilly powder, salt and mix well.
5. Saute the spinach till it becomes soft.
6. Now add the dal and combine well. Add water if its becomes too thick.
7. Remove from heat and add coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix well.