Zunka/Zunka Bhakri is a famous Maharashtrian recipe. Traditionally it is prepared with onion and besan/chickpea flour and served with jowar or bajra rotis. Zunka can be prepared with other veggies like okra/bhindi, capsicum, cabbage and spring onion.
The blend of besan with capsicum gives out a good flavor and aroma. This dish does not need much preparation, so you can make this in an instant and serve with roti. It also goes well with rice and dal.
Capsicum - 3, medium sized
Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
Green chilly - 2, finely chopped
Jeera/Cumin - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Besan - 3 tbsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
Salt - to taste
1. Remove the seeds of capsicum and cut them into cubes.
2. Dry roast the besan in medium flame till nice aroma comes. Keep aside.
3. In a pan, add 2 tbsp oil and add jeera. When it crackles, add ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and fry for a minute.
4. Then add onions and fry till they turn brown around the edges.
5. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder and mix well. Fry for 2 minutes.
6. Add capsicum, salt and mix well. Close and cook for 8-10 minutes or till capsicum becomes soft.
7. Now add the besan little by little and combine well with capsicum. Add 1 tbsp oil and keep mixing in medium flame for 5-6 minutes. Do not cover at this stage.
Serve hot with roti.
1. I have used green, yellow and red capsicum here. You can use any color capsicum for this.
2. Roasting the besan helps in removing the raw smell and gives a good aroma when roasted again at the end.
3. Do not cover and cook after adding besan.