Crispy baked snack with potato, carrot, beans, green peas, onion filling using puff pastry sheets.
Making puffs at home is pretty easy if you have puff pastry sheets. Just make any filling with vegetables, stuff them in the sheets and bake them. Different kinds of stuffing can be prepared with vegetables of your choice.
Puffs are healthy snack as it is baked and you can sneak in lot of veggies in the filling. Serve with tomato ketchup.
Puff pastry sheet - 1
Onion - 1 big, finely chopped
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
Green chilly - 1, finely chopped
Potato - 2 medium, boiled and mashed
Carrot - 1/3 cup, finely chopped
Beans - 1/3 cup, finely chopped
Green peas - 1/3 cup
Cumin/Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degree Celsius (400 degree Fahrenheit).
2. Keep the pastry sheets outside 30 minutes or thaw them as per the instructions in the packet.
For the stuffing:
1. In a pan heat oil and add jeera. When it crackles, add onions, pinch of salt and fry till onions turn golden around the corners.
2. Add ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and fry for 3-4 minutes.
3. Then add carrots, beans and green peas. Mix well and cook till the vegetables turn soft.
4. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder and mix well. Saute for 2 minutes.
5. Now add the mashed potatoes, salt and garam masala. Combine well and cook for 4-5 minutes.
6. Add the coriander leaves, mix well and remove from heat.
|Vegetable Filling for Puffs|
Arranging puffs and baking:
1. Carefully remove one pastry sheet and lay on a floured surface.
2. Cut it into 4 squares each. You can cut into smaller parts too.
3. Place a tablespoon of the filling in the middle of each part.
4. Slowly pull from one side and seal to the other end. Then seal off all other sides.
5. Place them on a baking tray and bake them at 200 degree Celsius for 20 minutes or until the top has turned golden brown.
Serve with tomato ketchup.
1. Handle the pastry sheet as little as possible using a light careful touch to avoid stretching and damaging the layers.
2. Whenever cutting the pastry sheet, use a sharp knife.
3. If pastry sheet has become too soft to handle, refrigerate till firmer, approximately 10 minutes.
4. Do not put lot of stuffing into the pastry sheet.
5. The filling should be dry. Do not add any water to cook the vegetables.