Rajma is a popular Punjabi cuisine, made with red kidney beans cooked in thick gravy of onion, tomato, curd and a blend of spices to a creamy consistency. Rajma chawal - rajma masala served with hot steaming rice - is a famous North Indian delicacy and a great combination. This curry also goes well with chapathi.
Kidney beans/Rajma - 1 cup
Jeera/Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala - 2 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, chopped
Onion - 1 big
Tomatoes - 4 medium
Green chillies - 3
Ginger - 1 tbsp
Garlic - 5
Curd - 1/4 cup
1. Wash and soak rajma overnight. Pressure cook the rajma till its soft and tender. It will take around 20 to 25 minutes depending on the quality of rajma. Do not discard the water.Keep aside.
2. Grind onion, tomatoes, green chillies, ginger, garlic and curd to a smooth paste.
3. Heat oil and add jeera. When it splutters, add the ground paste and bring to boil.
4. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder, garam masala and fry till raw smell of masala goes.
5. Add rajma, rajma water, coriander leaves, salt and mix well. Cook till the gravy becomes thick and creamy.
Serve hot with chapathi or hot steaming rice.