Coconut rice is a simple rice dish prepared with fresh grated coconut and tempered with mustard seeds, dals and curry leaves. This can be prepared quickly if freshly grated coconut is ready and makes a tasty lunch box recipe with applam or pickle.
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Green chillies - 2, finely chopped
Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Sesame seeds/Ellu - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Jeera/Cumin - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Channa dal/Kadalaparippu - 1/2 tsp
Red chillies - 2, halved
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Coconut oil - 2 tsp
Ghee - 2 tsp
Cashewnuts - 2 tbsp
1. Cook the rice and keep aside. The rice should not be overcooked or mushy. After the rice is cooked, spread it and allow it to cool.
2. Heat ghee and fry the cashewnuts till it turns golden. Dry roast the sesame seeds and allow it to cool. Powder and keep aside.
3. Heat coconut oil and add mustard seeds. When it crackles, add asafoetida, red chillies, jeera, urad dal and channa dal. When dal becomes golden, add curry leaves, green chillies and fry for few seconds.
4. Add the grated coconut and fry continuously till the coconut becomes reddish brown. Then add the cooked rice, salt and mix well.
5. Add the sesame powder and mix well. Garnish with fried cashewnuts.