With the weather getting colder, soups are a great choice to stay warm. They are easy to put together and makes a comforting and hearty meal on a chilly day. If you go through the blog, you can see there aren't much soup recipes. Why? Because I'm not really a soup person but my hubby loves soups. So I'm trying out few soup recipes once in a while. Have a look at the sweet corn soup and spiced carrot-ginger soup I posted sometime back.
As I said, soups are really quick and easy to make and you just need few slices of bread to serve along. Cream of mushroom soup is a simple and delicious soup which does not involve any grinding. The thickening agent for this soup is basic roux thinned with milk. I slightly adapted from this recipe and adjusted according to our taste. I used shallots in the recipe as I love the slight hint of sweetness. You can use regular onions too. I have tried the soup with parsley and coriander, but I prefer thyme as it pairs well with mushrooms and adds more flavor to the soup. Even if you are not a fan of mushrooms, I'm sure you would love this soup. Off to the recipe.
Notes and Tips
- Do not add salt while frying the mushrooms.
- Do not add more nutmeg as it can over power the flavor of the soup.
- Instead of vegetable stock, you can use water or milk.
- If you want a low-fat option, you can skip the cream.
- Thyme goes well with mushrooms, but you can use other herbs like parsley or coriander.